Home

History

In 1921, Margaret Langdon, a prominent Manchester Jewish philanthropist and activist in community care, set up Delamere Forest School as a Fresh Air Home and School for delicate Jewish children in the Cheshire countryside. In the 1960s, when the need for this type of school declined, the emphasis switched to catering for children with special educational needs who could benefit from individual care and attention in peaceful surroundings while maintaining their Jewish culture and religious practices.
 
In 2010, prompted by the growing demand for special needs school education close to the family home and local community, the school relocated to North Manchester where it could benefit from proximity to the large established local Jewish community, and by working in partnership with the Together Trust.  The Together Trust is a large professional charitable based organisation, highly experienced in providing a range of educational and care services for children with special educational needs.
 
After 90 years, Delamere Forest School, sadly had to close in July 2011 when it was no longer possible financially to maintain its operation as a separate independent school with all the overheads and infrastructure which that required.
 
Having divested its remaining non-financial assets  the charity re-branded itself as Delamere Charitable Trust in January 2012 and the trustees are  continuing to provide and promote services for young Jewish people with special educational needs who are unable to develop within the normal classes of mainstream schools.
 
For more information see 'Origins Of The School' (pdf) by David Patchick

 sidephoto

 

-A A +A